05 October, 2010

Just writing to check in.

I'm back in boring old Ithaca. It's much less exciting than London, but I thought I'd update this blog from time to time for anyone who still pays attention to it. Just for old times' sake, or something like that.

After getting home from my fabulous Euro-adventures, I spent my summer waitressing at a restaurant in East Aurora. I moved into a house on Ithaca's South Hill in mid-August, and now it's back to school with me. My junior year has begun!

Ithaca's been awfully cold and rainy lately, with the exception of this weekend, which was beautiful and allowed my family to come visit me for the day. We went to Applefest, an annual Ithacan festival, and I showed them my house and the barn where I've been working.

School itself has been rough, especially after the completely different format of classes I got used to in London. It's a lot of work, and I'm getting far less sleep than I should be, but that's all part of the college experience, right?

In my spare time, I've been doing a lot of writing. I'm taking a creative writing course, and we have to write a poem every day. It's a lot harder than it sounds! Besides that, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming up in November. Basically, the idea is for you to try and write a 50,000+ word novel in thirty days. This will be my second year doing it, although last year school got to be too much for me and I gave up at about 20,000 words! Hopefully this year will be better. We shall see.

I'm also co-president of my school's chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance, a group that works for social justice and charity in the name of the boy wizard. It takes the messages and themes from the Harry Potter books, like love and equality, and brings them into the real world to make a difference. We've got a lot of really great things planned for our chapter, like a book drive (Accio Books!), some movie screenings before Deathly Hallows premieres in November, and possibly even a Yule Ball. We're also going to do work for literacy and LGBT, as well as some other really great causes. We're having a meeting tonight, and playing Harry Potter related games so everyone in the club can get to know each other a little better.

Anyway, I'm about to leave for class for the day, but I wanted to stop by and assure my poor blog I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just looking for a new use for it now that I'm not off having grand European adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment